Friday, November 7, 2008

How to Make Cinnamon Rolls

We made cinnamon rolls this week! I have a super easy recipe that the children can do most of. I find it works best for my sanity if only one child helps me at a time, but they are all excellent helpers and on their way to becoming superb cooks!
For the dough, I buy frozen white bread loaves. I thaw one until it is room temperature, then roll it into a large rectangle. Here is Autumn doing the rolling:
After rolling, Aiden "paints" melted butter all over the top. This is the lengthiest part because you then have to clean the melted butter off the child, the table, and the floor.

After the butter, Asher is spreading the cinnamon sugar mixture over the dough. This part also took awhile because Asher kept licking his fingers and then I would make him wash his hands before continuing. (that happened at least four times!)
Then we rolled up the dough longways, cut it into slices, put it into a pan, and let it rise for another hour. Then I baked them until golden brown...and they smelled so good!!! Now for the final part, Asher is spreading canned frosting over the top.
Then we got to eat them....delicious!!!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are a brave woman to have all three help with a project like that! You're an awesome mom!

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your story of making cinnamon rolls with your 3 big helpers. Cute pictures and yummy-looking rolls!!! Lots of love to all of the cooks.

Mom/Gramma

Anonymous said...

WOW, what patience!! They will have such a great memory. Wish I could have been there in person. Just wanted you to know I have been praying for you (Jason too)everyday to have wisdom to raise that roudy group!! Love you all....

PS....Great job Asher, Autumn, and Aiden. What's next?

Anonymous said...

Shell! What a great and easy way to do this. I'm definitely going to give it a try with my crazy bunch over here!