Saturday, July 11, 2009

Life in Ancient Greece

This summer the children and I are learning all about ancient Greece. It's so fun! Everyday we learn a new Greek word and then read the very interesting stories of Olympian gods and mortal heroes. Here are some of our projects:
This is Asher with his Greek vase picturing a Spartan warrior Here is the most beautiful woman in all of Greece: Autumn of Troy. She is pictured with the greek warrrior Achilles. (He's wearing a pillowcase that I cut a corner off of)
Then today for the most fun we had a mini-Olympics. In the original Olympics the ancient Greeks competed nude, but the children refused! (they have no sense of historical accuracy) Before the games began, they
had to take an oath to compete fairly.
Aiden won the ball-throwing competition, here he is with his laurel crown.

Asher won the ball-kicking competition and the backwards race; Autumn won the running race and the fastest jumping-jacks competition. Then they had their turn wearing the glorious laurel leaf crown! (really just a branch from our fake tree in the living room wired in a circle)
Congratulations to all our competitors!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Those are such great ideas! Hope you continue to enjoy your study of ancient Greece. It's one of my favorites time periods in history.

Are you reading the d'Aulaires' Greek Myths? Jessie adores that book and has read it many times.

Shelli Gale said...

Yes! We loved the d'Aulaires book and were sorry when it ended!

Grammy Gale said...

I wish I was there, what fun...I'm so glad they didn't hold to historical accuracy. Well, only 12 more days and you guys get to visit us. Can't wait...