Because we're wierd, we decided to celebrate Hanukkah this year. We did this for three reasons primarily:
1. We just studied the history behind Hanukkah in our homeschool.
2. Jason's parents were raised Jewish (they became Christians after they were married) and so we had easy access to a Menorah.
3. It just looked fun!
Jason made a driedel out of wood (I know, it goes against the song). I tried to buy one at a store but "nun" could be found (Yiddish humor). We have played it a few times with M&Ms. It's basically a gambling game!

For food, I tried to find the traditional jelly donuts associated with Hanukkah, but again couldn't find any. So instead the helpful bakery lady at Lucky just put a star of David on a regular jelly donut. I also made latkes (not really, I just made hash browns and called them latkes) and we read a funny book about Hanukkah,
The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming.

Then every night Asher has lit the candles on the menorah and Jason has read aloud one of our adorenaments about the names of Christ. Then I have had little gifts for each of the children. Tonight is the last night, so he will light all nine candles.


Lastly, it is Jason's birthday today!!! Happy birthday to the most wonderful, spectacular, awesome husband a girl could ever wish for!
1 comment:
Mazel Tov!
Post a Comment